Sixty-one nursing home residents are expected to gather Monday, July 30, at 2:00 p.m. for the 35th annual Ms. Alabama Nursing Home Pageant. The winner will serve as a spokesperson for nursing home residents and the Alabama Nursing Home Association (ANHA). The event will be held at the Hyatt Regency Birmingham – The Wynfrey Hotel in Hoover
“These ladies are proof that we can all make a difference regardless of our age or ability,” ANHA President & CEO Bill O’Connor said. “Each one is a wonderful ambassador of her nursing home. I encourage you to attend the pageant and help us celebrate the contributions these ladies make in their nursing home and the community.”
Preliminary judging was held in Montgomery to narrow the field of 61 contestants to the top 10 finalists. Contestants are evaluated on their outlook on life, personality, poise and involvement in their individual nursing homes.
The top 10 finalists are (in alphabetical order by nursing home):
- Ms. Camden Nursing Facility, Dora Estes, Camden, Age 87
- Ms. Cherokee County Health & Rehab Center, Freda Smith, Centre, Age 81
- Ms. Diversicare of Boaz, Gay Nell Gillespie, Boaz, Age 88
- Ms. East Glen Center for Nursing & Rehab, Annie Avery, Birmingham, Age 80
- Ms. Gadsden Health & Rehab Center, Pauline Ashworth, Gadsden, Age 88
- Ms. Haleyville Health & Rehab, Christine Arnold, Haleyville, Age 69
- Ms. Keller Landing, Shelby Hill, Tuscumbia, Age 71
- Ms. River City Center, Linda Morris, Decatur, Age 79
- Ms. Springhill Rehab & Senior Residence, Dorothy Miller, Mobile, Age 67
- Ms. Woodland Village Rehab & Healthcare Center, Melvaleen Roseberry, Cullman, Age 80
The top 10 finalists will have individual interviews with the panel of celebrity judges on the morning of July 30 before competing on stage that afternoon. All the other contestants in attendance will be part of the Honor Court and will be individually recognized during the pageant. Admission is free and the public is invited to attend.
Miss Alabama Callie Walker and retired nursing home administrator Bob Coker will co-host the event. Celebrity judges include: Ms. Senior USA/Ms. Senior Alabama Sara Jo Burks, Alabama’s Distinguished Young Woman Brooke Tarrant, Legislative Consultant Lamar Higgins, Region Bank Senior Vice President Evelyn Mitchell and Dennis Blair from the Alabama Department of Public Health.
Editor’s note: This story was adapted from an Alabama Nursing Home Association press release issued July 12, 2018.
To help you get to know the top 10, ANHA.org will post a story about each finalist. The stories will begin July 16, and a new one will publish each week day until July 27.
Large format JPG images of each top 10 finalist can be downloaded at anha.org/pageant.