CERTIFIED NURSE ASSISTANT
RIDGEVIEW/RIDGEWOOD HEALTH SERVICES, INC.
JOB TITLE: Certified Nurse Assistant
SUPERVISOR: Director of Nursing
Ridgeview and Ridgewood Health Services are 148 and 98 bed facilities respectively, which offer both short and long-term care for our residents. Support services are tailored to meet the individual needs of our residents and strive to improve the quality of life of each resident.
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION
Provides assigned residents’ routine daily nursing care and services in accordance with the resident’s assessment and care plan, and as may be directed by your supervisor.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Understands and agrees with management’s philosophy and goal to maintain, improve and/or enhance each resident’s quality of care and quality of life.
- Provides, completes, and documents, if applicable, resident care as assigned in a timely and accurate manner. Documents all entries on flow sheets, notes, charts, etc. in an informative and descriptive manner.
- Examples of resident care include but are not limited to:
- Changing bedding, mattresses and/or moving furniture in resident rooms; lifting, rotating, and assisting residents who are partially or totally incapacitated; providing personal care in eating, dressing, hair and body care, communication, toileting, bathing, oral care, etc.; operating equipment such as wheelchairs, lifting devices, mechanized beds and other related medical devices; and other duties as assigned in the resident’s overall plan of care.
- Identifies safety hazards and emergency situations and initiates corrective action immediately as identified in Management’s policies and procedures, current standards of care and practice and applicable state/federal regulations.
- Follows code of ethics in procurement, handling of confidential information, and personal conduct. Maintain the confidentiality of all resident information including protected health care information.
- Reports changes in resident’s condition immediately to the Staff Nurse.
- Responds to requests from residents for assistance in a respectful and timely fashion. Answers call lights promptly.
- Observes residents’ rights including, but not limited to, privacy, dignity, etc., when rendering care to residents as required by Management’s policies and procedures, current standards of care and practice and applicable state/federal regulations.
- Uses facility or resident equipment and supplies in an appropriate manner. Reports concerns or requests assistance as indicated.
- Communicates suggestions or concerns from residents, other staff, visitors or others to the Staff Nurse in a timely, factual, and accurate manner.
- Practices good body mechanics during lifting and other physical exertions to prevent injuries to self or to others. Observes all safety precautions as required in Management’s policies and procedures.
- Assists residents to social functions or to meals in a timely manner as assigned by the Staff Nurse or as indicated in the overall plan of care.
- Participates in the orientation of new or temporary staff to the unit to assure continuity in the delivery of resident care.
- Practices good infection control techniques in all aspects of resident care, including, but not limited to hand washing, linen handling, Foley catheters, soiled resident clothing, etc. Reports any signs or symptoms of infections or poor infection control practice by others to the Staff Nurse as identified.
- Seeks assistance from the Staff Nurse when confronted with a resident problem that requires special attention.
- Attend and participate in scheduled in-service training as required for job functions such as infection control, workplace hazards and safety, exposures, etc.
- Completes any assignments or evaluations in a timely and factual fashion.
- Attend and participate in scheduled training and educational classes to maintain current certification as a Nursing Assistant.
- Attend trainings to build understanding and capacity to undertake QAPI work.
- Carry out QAPI roles and responsibilities as assigned.
- Follow policies and procedures in support of QAPI efforts.
- Support QAPI efforts both verbally and non-verbally, (i.e., via actions and attitude), including adjusting performance and practice in accordance with QAPI initiatives and findings.
- Look for and share ideas to leadership ideas for improvement in the organization.
- Perform other duties and assignments as assigned by supervisor.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR THE JOB
Must possess current Certified Nurse Assistant status in accordance with statutory requirements.
Experience in Certified Nursing Assistant experience in the long-term care setting is preferred.
- Interpersonal skills to bond and relate with patients on a close level to win their trust and cooperation during treatment.
- Emotional intelligence to understand residents’ needs and temperament
- Good organizational and communication skills.
- Ability to read, write, understand, and carry out directions.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORKING CONDITIONS
- Is subject to frequent interruptions.
- Must be able to move intermittently throughout the workday.
- Must be able to speak and write the English language in an understandable manner.
- Must be able to cope with the mental and emotional stress of the position.
- Must possess sight/hearing senses or use prosthetic that will enable these senses to function adequately so that the requirements of this position can be fully met.
- Must function independently and have flexibility, personal integrity, and the ability to work effectively with the residents, personnel, and support agencies.
- Must meet the general health requirements set forth by the policies of the facility, which include a medical and physical exam.
- Must be able to relate to and work with ill, disabled, elderly, emotionally upset, and at times hostile people within the facility.
- Must be able to push, pull, move and/or lift a minimum of 25 pounds to a minimum height of 5 feet and be able to push, pull, move, and/or carry such weight a minimum of 50 feet.
- May be necessary to assist in the evacuation of residents during emergency situations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, you will be regularly required to use hands and fingers to handle, feel, or operate objects, tools or controls, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to stand, talk, and hear.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.