The Alabama Nursing Home Association today announced the top 10 finalists for the 2014 Ms. Alabama Nursing Home Pageant.
These ladies will compete for the coveted crown of Ms. Alabama Nursing Home on Monday, July 28 at the Hyatt Regency Birmingham – The Wynfrey Hotel in Hoover.The winner will serve as a spokesperson for nursing home residents and the Alabama Nursing Home Association (ANHA).
The top 10 finalists are (in alphabetical order by facility):
- Ms. Arbor Springs Health & Rehab Center, Edna Farrell, Opelika, Age 89
- Ms. Burns Nursing & Rehab, Jewel Arrington, Russellville, Age 67
- Ms. Crowne Health Care of Mobile, Dorothy Young, Mobile, Age 63
- Ms. Cullman Long Term Care & Rehab Center, Opal Mitchell, Cullman, Age 94
- Ms. Cypress Cove Center, Tommie Dimps, Muscle Shoals, Age 56
- Ms. El Reposo Nursing Facility, Carolyn Thigpen, Florence, Age 92
- Ms. Florence Nursing & Rehab, Margaret Herston, Florence, Age 80
- Ms. Henry County Health & Rehab Facility, Sarah Glover, Abbeville, Age 82
- Ms. Highlands at the Oaks on Parkwood, JoAnn Okechukwu, Bessemer, Age 67
- Ms. Woodland Village Health Care Center, Cloie Kelley, Cullman, Age 79
“The Ms. Alabama Nursing Home Pageant is a celebration of life and our nursing home residents’ contributions to their communities,” ANHA President Frank Brown said. “Each of these contestants captures that spirit. These ladies are wonderful ambassadors for their individual nursing home and Alabama’s long term care profession.”
A panel of preliminary judges met recently in Montgomery to narrow the field of 58 contestants to the top 10 finalists. Contestants were evaluated on their outlook on life, personality, poise and involvement in their individual nursing homes.
The top 10 finalists will have individual interviews with the panel of celebrity judges on the morning of July 28 before competing on stage that afternoon. All of the other contestants in attendance will make up the Honor Court and will be individually recognized during the pageant. Admission is free and the public is invited to attend.
Miss Alabama Caitlin Burnell will co-host the event, and Ms. Senior Alabama Donna McGuffie and Alabama’s Distinguished Young Woman Madeline Powell, will serve on the panel of celebrity judges. Other celebrity judges include Eddie Crowell, Alabama Quality Assurance Foundation CEO Dr. Wes Smith and former Alabama Congressman Ronnie Flippo.
Beginning Monday, July 14, ANHA.org post a profile story each day about one of the top 10 finalists. Please share the contestant stories on social media to show your support for each lady. You may also leave a comment below each story.
Editor’s note: This story was adapted from an Alabama Nursing Home Association press release issued July 10, 2014.
To download large format pictures in JPG file type, click here.