Student Externships for Alabama Community College Nursing Students
Alabama Nursing Homes are now partnering with the Alabama Community College System to offer externship opportunities for practical nursing (PN) student candidates. The program enables a PN student to work in our facilities while pursuing their degree. We offer tuition reimbursement and other bonuses based upon the externs’ performance. Come see if a career in long term care is right for you!
Long Term Care (LTC) Practical Nurse Externship
Under direct supervision of a designated supervisor, perform select procedures and treatments and maintain patient care units in orderly condition and assist LPN/RN as requested. High school Diploma or equivalent. Must have successfully completed 1st semester of nursing school and be currently enrolled in the 2nd semester of an accredited nursing program.
The desired profile of a LTC extern is an individual with the following abilities and skills:
- Diligence – Externs are dedicated to the health care field and willing to put in the extra time and effort to build their knowledge and experience
- Time Management – Externs can meet deadlines and work to strict schedules, as they are working with residents and colleagues who depend upon their promptness
- Critical Thinking – When solving problems, interns need to think critically to resolve issues
- Interpersonal Skills – Externs need to be able to follow instructions and work well as part of a team
- Troubleshooting – Externs need to be able to readily identify problems and find ways to resolve them
- Have CNA certification within the first three months of hire date
- Possess BLS certification
- Provide proof of negative drug screen
- Provide current criminal background check
- Be able to perform the Nursing Essential Functions as set forth by the Alabama Community College System
Upon hiring, externs must:
- Attend any training and departmental meetings
- Provide customer service with resident-centered focus
- Only perform activities for which they are certified and/or qualified
- Adhere to all safety regulations as set forth by the employer
- Work no more than 24 hours a week while attending classes
Hourly wage along with educational benefits to include possible tuition reimbursement, NCLEX – PN scholarship and other stipends.
Externship placements are dependent upon availability. Application for the program does not always lead to placement.